I usually attend 2-3 weddings a year – I am blessed with a big family and very special friends – so, I am familiar with the preparations of becoming a wedding guest. I wanted to share with you…
My top 5 things to consider BEFORE you shop for the perfect wedding guest outfit:
- Month. When will the wedding take place and what was the weather like the past 2 years on that date? I like to check wunderground.com for a general idea.
- Dress code. Does the invitation state casual, cocktail, semi-formal, or black tie? If nothing is mentioned, check the wedding website for more info or ask other guests. If that fails, try and find out what the wedding party is wearing for a clue on what to wear.
- Time of day. Some weddings happen mostly in the day or mostly in the night and can require an added accessory like sunglasses or a shawl. Other weddings are day-to-night events and can require accessory changes or entire dress changes. A church may require a more modest dress code (covered shoulders, longer hemlines) while the reception attire may be more festive.
- Location. If it is an outdoor wedding, will you be standing on grass or pavement? Wedges are more stable on uneven ground while heels can sink into the ground. Research pictures of the locations and see exactly where you’ll be sitting and standing.
- Fabric. You don’t want to be wearing a heavy polyester dress at any wedding in the middle of July in Texas. Go for light breathable fabrics for the spring/summer season. Fabrics like chiffon, organza, charmeuse, and jersey knit in silks, cottons, and light synthetics.
Once you’ve taken all these things into consideration, you will have a better idea of what you want to wear.
p.s. I just got invited to another wedding as I was writing this! Keep ‘em coming!
Oh, summer weddings. There are so many of you some years! What are you gonna wear when you want to look pretty and fresh and celebratory, but it’s hot as heck? Here are my tricks for dressing for a summer event like a pro.
- Pale colors. I know they say not to wear white to a wedding, but it’s totally okay to wear a light print with white in the background. It will keep you cooler and make you feel fresh and innocent like a bride. Why not get in a bridal kind of mood?
- Fun print. When wearing a summer dress, you can get away with wearing less fabric if the fabric is covered in a print that distracts a little from the shape. Plus, the right print will hide any devious sweat!
- Light, loose flouncy shape. I love a flouncy skirt at a wedding, and a light and airy dress that hits you at the natural waist and falls away from the hips will feel perfectly dressed up and is super flattering to most body shapes (as well as breezy and cool). Plus, dancing in a flouncy skirt is the tops!
And don’t forget to wear comfy shoes for standing during cocktail hour and dancing til the wee hours! If you need help selecting the perfect, most flattering, most fun to wear outfit for your next event, might I suggest a Trophy Boutique Styling Service?
As a stylist, I’m always pushing my clients to accessorize because it really sets you apart from the crowd. While investing in strong clothing basics is essential to building a full wardrobe, wearing accessories really allows you to express your individuality! After all, everyone can wear the same skinny jeans but no one can copy the way you throw on your bangles or rock a necklace. And if your friend is suddenly wearing the same color earrings or belt as you, take pleasure in knowing that it’s the sincerest form of flattery!
Another reason to invest in accessories is that you can try out different trends without breaking the bank on big pieces that wont stay in style long! And if you naturally shy away from purchasing big trendy pieces, buy a belt to showcase that flash of neon on your LBD or wear a pastel pump instead of pants that wont give you as much fashion mileage.
- Metallic –Try it by buying metallic footwear like a pointy toe ballerina flat, loafer or wedge heel. If you really want to shine, try a colored metallic, which we’ll be seeing a lot of come Fall.
- Tortoiseshell Sunglasses – Sunnies are equivalent to a winter coat or leather boots and absolutely necessary for those warm weather months. Try a pair of tortoiseshell sunglasses with a white drapey t and fitted jeans for a simple, casual, stylish everyday look.
- Statement necklaces – Pull your hair back, skip the earrings and try a Tribal inspired bib or fringe necklace over a plain or striped tee for a sophisticated, modern look.
Let’s connect on FB at RonitStylist where you can find more fashion tricks and tips on staying stylish through the warm weather months!
Even though it’s springtime there still may be a strong chill in the air. “What am I going to wear?” It’s a common question during this transitional time from cold to warm weather when we want to keep the spring spirit present but also want to dress according to the temperature. The good news is that one of the same key pieces that helped our wardrobes all winter is back at its best again. The Blazer…
The blazer is a perfect transitional staple in spring. While it helps to keep us layered and warm it can totally support the perfect idea for spring fashion.
- Wear a bright spring colored blazer such as a pink, or a light blue over a dress.
- Pair a white or beige colored blazer with a nautical inspired top or skirt.
- To have some real fun with your blazers in spring play around with some color blocking. For example where a dark green blazer with a blue shirt underneath and some white pants.
As a personal stylist, I almost never recommend investing in clothing you only wear once or twice a year. If you loved it enough to purchase it, what a waste to only wear it a couple times. Boo! So, today’s post is about recycling those holiday sparkle/sequin items into spring looks!
You have a:
Sparkly skirt or shorts
Sparkly pair of shoes
- The easiest way to transition your holiday sparkle into spring is with white, off-white, cream, or ivory. Pick what suits your skin tone best. Avoid navy, black, and dark gray which are too “winter” with sparkle and sequin.
- Break out these 5 wardrobe staples items from your closet to blend with your sparkly pieces:
- Nude pumps –Swap out your black pumps for nude ones to blend with your sparkly pieces and white pieces.
- White silk shell – This wardrobe staple is easy to use. Pair it with that sparkly skirt or shorts and your nude pumps.
- White jeans or trousers – Pair your white jeans/pants with that sparkly belt or those sparkly shoes!
- White blazer – swap out your black blazer for a white one and add instant springiness to your look!
- Pale Spring/Summer scarf – add this accessory to pull the look together
3. Of course, you could always use color. If pastels are flattering on you, try mint green, muted coral, and baby blues with your sparkle and sequin! That pale blue chambray top is perfect with white jeans and a sparkly belt. Just keep it fresh, not heavy!
To view pictures & pairings of spring outfits I’ve put together using holiday sparkle, click here!
Happy Spring! XOXO Taylor-Moseley
Spring can mean lots of things to different people. As a stylist I realize it’s about wearing lighter layers, fun bright colors, and overall, wearing less. But what you might not think about is once your winter layers are removed, what you do wear IS crucial. If you’re only wearing 2-3 pieces of clothing you better make sure they send the right message.
Here are a few tips for making THE RIGHT statement without saying a word:
- It’s all about light layers. Sleeveless dress in medium weight stretch cotton and lightweight but dramatic trench, will get you ready for anything. Always make sure you have an umbrella handy as it can be rainy.
- Select the anchor color of your outfit carefully. Color has meaning so consult this color chart so that you send the right subliminal message for that next power meeting, speaking engagement, or networking event.
- Balance your accessories with color carefully. If you’re wearing lots of color in your outfit stick with metals for your jewelry. And if you’re going with neutrals in your outfit, bring in a fun colorful scarf or piece of jewelry.
Now it’s your turn. What are your go-to’s for surviving Spring? Do you ditch the pants come spring or wait till summer? Would love to hear more in the comments down below.
If you are challenged by how to send the right message with your style check out my debut program Six Figure Style.
A style for all ages that refuses to leave the fashion world is “The Denim Jacket.” We have all owned one at some point in our lives and are now kicking ourselves because we have sold it or have no idea how to re-work it back into our daily wear. This staple brings many of us back to our high school and/or college years and clouds our judgement on it’s functionality. Can we really be fashionable in such a memorable era’s jacket?
Simply, the answer is YES! The key to wearing one is to keep it from looking “dated” by wearing one that properly fits. HINT: Your jacket should hit at or just above your hips. Also, there should ideally be a hint of a tailored side at the smallest part of your waistline creating an illusion of your gorgeous figure.
- The easiest way to work your denim jacket is to pair it with a comfortable dress! Whether it is a dress with a structured waist or a bohemian maxi dress, you will add a sense of casual ease to your ensemble. Spring days can have a brisk breeze and this is classic go-to grab!
- White is one of the best accent colors with denim. In lieu of a blazer, grab your denim jacket and put it with an everyday white-t. Even better, throw on your white jeans on bottom.
- For the daring fashionistas, button it up and wear your denim jacket as a top! For safety’s sake, please throw on a neutral cami or fitted tank top underneath. This will allow you to open it up later or, if the buttons gap a tad, keep you from showing what you don’t want to be seen.
Spring is here! Oh, what to wear?
Cardigans, cardigans and more cardigans! They truly are the most “transition-able” season- to- season garments a girl can own. And the best part is they come in so many colors that you’re sure to find at least one that will enhance your natural coloring. If possible, stay clear of beiges and pastels because after a long winter spent mostly indoors, most of us are quite pastel ourselves! The combination of pale skin and light colors will make you appear tired and washed out. Instead look around you and see what Spring is wearing and follow her lead.
- For a day at the office, wear your cardigan with a dress and a pair of low heels. Add a belt and wrap it around the outside of the cardigan. Carry a briefcase-style purse in a trendy color and wear a hint of a fresh flowery perfume.
- For a casual look, pair your colorful cardigan with a flirty skirt, T-shirt and a pair of flats. Add earrings that will sparkle in the sun!
- For a day at the beach (yes, that is Spring in San Diego, CA) toss your cardigan over your swimsuit as a cover- up. Add a hat and sunscreen (35 SPF at least).
Get more style tips here!
In case you thought the neon trend was lost and gone forever, I have news: it’s not going anywhere. But this season’s neon craze has arrived in more wearable incarnations than in years past. Mixing brights with neutrals (think tan, cream and khaki) offers a surprisingly grown-up take on this trend. Here are a few ways to incorporate this trend into your spring wardrobe to help you transitional your spring closet into summer.
- An oversized two-tone clutch is the perfect way to add some neon into your wardrobe without overdosing on color. Try a bright coral and tan combo. Need more space than a clutch allows? This roomy tote from the Gap is a great option.
- Scarves are great for adding another layer of warmth on chilly spring evenings before hot and humid Summer nights arrive. Plus, a scarf can add a great element of visual interest to basics like a tee and jeans. A geometric print like this is on trend and versatile.
- A flat espadrille loafer is a great option for running errands or hanging out on the playground. One with cheerful yellow details combined with a versatile black and white print will quickly become a warm weather staple.
Half of us have a pair in our closet, half of us don’t. The lucky half owns a pair.
Finding a pair that fits just right is no easy task. If you think shopping for plain denim is hard, try shopping for white denim. There’s the see-through factor and all the fears that come with it. Enough to make you throw in the towel. They are, after all, a WANT and not a NEED.
Oh, but when you find them, they are a gem! They can be worn in the winter with colorful sweaters and boots and in the spring with fun flirty tanks and flats or heels. They are a good base for colors to pop against and look sublime when worn with neutrals. The various styles are up to you: straight leg, skinny, bootcut, flare? These are YEAR ROUND jeans, people. Treat them as such.
And as for the ‘no white after labor day’ rule – throw it out the window…and then lock the window.
HINT: If you haven’t found a flattering pair yet, try a larger size up. Body skimming is the key, not body hugging.
Look 1: Wear with a loose tank and wedges for a comfy but sexy dinner date. Add metallic earrings and bangles for a luxe look.
Look 2: For a straight leg or skinny version, roll up the cuff and show off your oxfords. Pair with a tee and a blazer and hit the theatre.
Look 3: Throw on a neutral loose knit sweater and some metallic sandals for an earthy but sophisticated weekend look. Keep it simple with minimal jewelry like stud earrings.